-----

"Plastic armor finish?"

1999

I have a suit of molded ABS plastic Greek Armor that I fight in during medieval and ancient recreation battles (wooden weapons but full speed/full contact). I read your explanation on plating non-metal surfaces in the FAQ and its obviously something I can't do myself. I will ask a local plating shop (if I can find one) but what kind of plating would give me the look of brass and how much should I expect it to cost? I am currently repainting it for every battle with gold paint. I suspect this will be cost prohibitive. Thanks for any info you can supply!

Charlres Quintas
- Pensacola, Florida
^

2001

I am looking for ways to make some plastic armor...right now I'm in the process of cutting up buckets and heating them to mold to my body and padding them but I would appreciate other recipes or a little instruction.

Jason Male
- Muncie, IN, USA
^

2002

If you want to make plastic armor, then I highly suggest you purchase kydex. . Once you purchase a sheet of it(I recommend black), trace an outline of the body part that you want on a sheet of paper. Cut the paper and use it as a pattern. Trace the shape that is made from the pattern on the kydex and use a cutting device (a wizard or dremmel works best) and cut the piece out. Then put it in the oven on an unwanted cooking sheet for 10 minutes at 100 degrees(your oven will be fine). Then put some gloves on (careful, it's hot!), quickly take the plastic to your body part and hold for 30 seconds. As it cools it will harden. It will be as strong as before. Kydex works best using this method, while other plastics are more difficult. I recommend that you account for padding when you applying the plastic to your body and wear clothing and a towel while you do it. Do not apply to skin!

I hope this helps.

Doug Petroshius
- Grayslake, Illinois, USA
^