Post your own question ...
or benefit from 30 years of feedback on 60,000 finishing topics.
Search the site

How to remove nitrates from silver cyanide plating bath

2004

Q. Hello ,
I think nitrogen in our silver cyanide bath is a problem. I want to remove nitrogen compound as NO3 out of the bath . How I do that?

Any help please. Thank you very much. : )

Tawan
lab s. - bangkok, Thailand

A. The plating manuals I have read claim that nitrates up to 100 g/liter are not usually detrimental to silver plating. Therefore, one of the alternative methods I use for carbonate removal has been the use of Barium Nitrate to drop out Barium Carbonate, leaving Potassium Nitrate in solution. I have used Nitrate (sparingly) in bright silver (Cookson Silverex II) for several years to no ill effect. I mostly use Barium Hydroxide to drop carbonate but if the pH goes over 13.2 I also use BaN03.

Ron Graf
- Claymont, DE, USA