-----

"Can you Electroless Nickel Plate Plasma Flame-cut Edges?"

1999

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. I need to know if there is a min. RMS finish requirment for Electroless nickel plating. I am concerned more on the topic of plasma flame cut edges. These finishes vary from 250-500 RMS, and I would like to know if these surfaces need to be machined in order for the plating to adhere. I thank anyone for this help and there time

Thank You

Larry Brugger
- Nashville Tennessee
^

1999

You do not say what the base metal is. The remelt layer from the lazer cutting is quite different from the rest of the metal. It does not clean or activate at the same rate. The micro porosity or surface roughness actually improved the adhesion on one alloy. On another alloy, there was too much carbon as carbides ( or something else)and it had to be machined. So, I guess it depends on what your specific metal is and the preplate cycle is.

^