Rust Prevention of Sintered Components

2004

I manufacture Sintered Components. Deburring and Polishing of the same is not difficult. What is difficult is prevention of rusting of components. Oil dipping is not what am looking for. I need chemicals (water based) that can be used during the mass finishing processes so that the components can be removed and packed directly.

Regards.

Niranjan S. Kulkarni
Production Engineer - Thane, Maharashtra, India

2004

What kind of life expectancy/ protection do you need? Does it have to be compatible with other components?

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania

2004

My product should not rust for the next 20 days. they do not react with any other component.

Niranjan S. Kulkarni
- Thane, Mah, India

2004

Humidity plays a major role in the life span of rust preventatives. I suggest whatever protection you decide on in a liquid form that the viscosity be high. That means the molecular structure can penetrate and/or soak in. I know of a couple of good light weight sprays that can also be gotten as a dip. There are also some dry materials in powder form that do both lubrication and rust prevention might be considered, but they are very costly.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania

2004

What % of humidity would you recommend that will ensure no rusting of components before 20 days?

Niranjan S. Kulkarni
- Thane, Mah, India

2004

We are talking about another variable. Meaning, if you coat the parts with a light viscous oil and place them in a sealed tight container,you should get 20 days of protection. However, if you leave these same parts exposed to the air and/or immediate environment, you may only get 3 days of good protection. Not sure I can be more specific.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania

I have gone through the discussion. You have mentioned some additives that can work as lubricant as well as helps in preventing rust. Can you tell me how they work?

Nilesh Gawande
- Pune, Mah, India