-----

"Softness of platinum vs yellow and white gold"

Current question:

Q. Is there anything that would preclude the use of drawn platinum wire (950 platinum/cobalt) as a hinge pin in a bracelet or earrings?

Thomas Bak
- Brooklyn
^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

2003

Q. I have a platinum ring that at four years of age has lost it's shape (become bent) I have been told by the salesman at the jewelry store where I purchased it that it is because platinum is the softest metal. I always thought gold was the softest. I would appreciate any feedback.

Linda Park
consumer - Camarillo, California, USA
^

2003

A. Pure 24 kt gold would be soft, but 10, 12, 14 kt gold have very substantial amounts of alloying ingredients (50 % in the case of 12 Kt) that can make the gold alloy quite hard. Platinum is usually very nearly pure, so it is softer than 10-14 kt gold.

^

2004

A. Platinum is almost always an alloy of 95% platinum and 5% either Ruthenium, Iridium, or Cobalt. Contrary to popular belief it is softer than most of the precious metal alloys used for jewelry. The only way it can achieve hardness is through cold working and even then it's not a great amount. The myth that it is hard comes from the fact that it is a difficult metal to machine, stamp or cast, but that is not due to it's hardness.

Tino Volpe
jewelry - Cumberland, Rhode Island
^