Salt Spray specs. ASTM vs. JIS

An ongoing discussion from 2003 through 2015 . . .

(2003)+

Q. We have been requested to process salt spray testing for the coating of screw base on the JIS (Japan Industrial Standard), we would like to hear the feedback from who have experience for that, and hope to have reply for the JIS no. regarding to the testing. Appreciate to have feedback soon.

Patrick Lau
Procurement Manager - Dongguan, Guangdong, China

2003

A. Patrick -

The JIS standard for salt spray testing is JIS Z 2371 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. It is very similar to the ASTM standard ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] , except that the references for salt, water, etc., are JIS standards. We have run it several times and would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Cynthia L. Meade
- Sylvania, Ohio, USA

JIS Z 2371 vs. ASTM B117

2003

Q. I would like to know what is the difference between Salt Spray Standard ASTM B117 and JIS Z 2371. Is there some specification about the size of the chamber ?

Marcelo Shiniti Sakamoto
chemist ( Research & Development ) - Sorocaba, São Paulo, Brazil

2003

A. The most obvious difference between B117 and JIS Z 2371 is that B117 only describes salt spray testing and the JIS standard includes salt spray, CASS and acetic acid. According to the JIS standard, the chamber must be .2 cubic meters or larger (approx. 7 cubic feet). There are other differences such as the salt description, placement of the collector funnels, etc. The best way to compare them is to obtain a copy of both and read through them.

Cynthia L. Meade
- Sylvania, Ohio, USA

2005

Q. Dear Sirs,

Let me know that as per JIS Z 2371, whether any adherability test is applicable after salt spray test in case of sheet metal painted components.

MUKESH KUMAR
- GURGAON, HARYANA, INDIA

2007 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Recently I have sent my parts to TUV for Salt Spray. On the report it is written the salt spray was conducted according to ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] . But when I questioned them what is the basis on interpreting the result, the answer given was JIS Z 2371 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. In my opinion since the test was conducted using ASTM B117 therefore the result should be based on ASTM D610 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. I appreciate if anyone could tell me what are the differences of these 2 standards in terms or interpreting the outcomes of test.

Another question is that TUV is using a copper wire with rubber coat to tie the specimens while performing the test. I would like to know if there's any possibility of the copper affecting the salt spray result?

Dave Goh
Electroplating - Malaysia

September 19, 2008 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I want to know what is test method JIS Z 2371. For this what and all temperature and humidity temperature we should set? And what is the function?

AFZAL ANSARI
engg co. - chennai, Tamilnadu, india

April 10, 2015 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. What is the difference between ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] & JIS Z 2371 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]? Will salt spray life differ for a part when carried out in these two methods?

Manjunath Shanmuga
- bangalore, India

A. Hi Manjuth. We found a thread where your question was previously answered, and appended your inquiry to it. It is somewhat difficult to get the same salt spray hours in two identical cabinets :-) ... so I think you'll get different results. Good luck.