Need info on degreasing prior to plating

2003

Dear sir.

I am an engraver on copper, zinc, silver, and steel. and now I am trying to go on electroplating system.

The question is about degreasing, I need help about acid names, quantities, and how to work with a degreasing system.

Thank you for your help.

Mitri G. Maalouf
Acid etching and engraving - Kfartey, Metn, Lebanon

2004

Mitri,

The best method we have found for de-greasing + de-oxidising copper cylinders prior to chrome plating is a mixture made up of hydrochloric acid , pure turpentine + methylated spirit . This should be pre-mixed and allowed to mature ( at least 3 days ) once this has been applied , a good wipe of with meths + a dry wipe , + straight to plating .... good luck , I'll try to get back to you with % of mix.

Garry Williams
engraver/gravure - Lancashire, England