-----

"Copper Analysis"

1999

I am wondering if any of you can give me information on a method for determining copper in our nitric acid based deoxidizer. The range I'm looking at is in the ppm usually between 50 and 500. Our deox. also contains ferric sulfate, a small amount of fluoride, a lot of zinc; I'm not sure if these are an analytical problem or not. I would like to find some type of wet-test that can give me a fairly accurate result while, hopefully, avoiding the use of highly toxic reagents. I'm fairly new to the field, therefore I don't have a vast pool of knowledge nor the means to obtain a lot of expensive gadgets. Titration would be my preferred method. Anything you can share will be of use.

Thanks for your time,
James

James A. Corier
^

1999

James,

In your case, I believe AA analysis is the most reliable and accurate method for determine the copper content in the ppm range.

Ling

Ling Hao
- Grand Rapids, Michigan
^

1999

Hi James,

I tend to agree with Ling on this. AA analysis would be your most reliable method of CU detection. If you don't have access to an Atomic Absorption Unit, perhaps you could send your samples to aan outside Lab. Chemet Kits and the like are just not that accurate.

Kitt

Kitt Daly
- Austin, Texas
^

2001

I am trying to determine copper dissolved in transformer oil. I would like if you can recommend a method. I think atom absorption would be suitable, but I am not sure about analysing oil in the aapparatus. May be I should use a solvent. In that case which one? Must I extrat before analysing or it is OK to inject oil/solven in the atom absorptoins apparatus.

Thanks for your time

El Sayed Badawi
- Stockholm, Sweden
^