-----

"Nickel Plating/ Stress relief"

1999

I'm currently restoring a 60's racing car and many parts will be nickel plated. In particular, a couple of suspension components and naturally I'm concerned about hydrogen embrittlement. Whilst the steel is not that hard (around 30-32 Rockwell) I'm keen to know what is required for proper stress relief of nickel plated parts.

Is there another method that gives the same "look" without the dangers of embrittlement?

Nick McDonald
- Australia
^

1999

Most people do not consider it necessary to bake after nickel plate on that low a Rc. If you feel that you want to bake, the standard is 375 F for 3 or 4 hours. Getting it into the bake cycle as soon as possible after plate is very helpful.

^