Stainless steel refrigerator door- removing shipping tape glue

(2003)

I just purchased an out of the box Stainless Steel refrigerator. The store where I purchased it at used shipping tape to hold the doors closed. I removed the tape but the glue from the tape is still on the finish. What is the best way to remove it? I have also noticed that where the tape was, is now discolored, what, if anything can I do to remove the discoloration?

Joe Garcia
home owner - Las Vegas, Nevada

(2003)

Get some Xylene [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], a tiny can , from your local paint store. Wear protective gloves [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], put some on a soft rag and rub in the direction of the scratch pattern-not cross wise to the grain. Keep the cloth well damp and it should only take 5 minutes. Don't do anything to the discoloration. It will gradually oxidize to the same hue as the rest of the SS. Do not use abrasives- even soft soap and definitely keep the Brillo pads off of it.

(2007)

Joe G,
If you are still there how did the answer to your query of removing shipping tape from your stainless steel refrigerator work out?

Jon Dewest
- Vancouver, BC, Canada

Hi all and Happy Holidays! I just purchased a Whirlpool stainless refrigerator. It came with a protective blue film on the outside of the doors. I pulled it off carefully, but no matter how hard I tried, there is still remnants of the blue sticky tape around all three handles. I cannot (for the life of me) figure out how to remove it. I don't want to use a sharp instrument to cut it, I've tried pushing it behind the handles, I've tried pulling it off using my fingers. So far, nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

Nancy Arter
buyer - Redondo Beach, California

Hi, Nancy. Considering it's brand new and under warranty, I wouldn't apply any chemical to it until the store takes the responsibility for whatever instructions you should follow.