a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedAdvertizeForum

Concerns using muric acid to roughen concrete

(2003)

Q. I have a smooth cement patio and I would like to make it rough due to being slippery. I was told that muric acid will do this for me? I know nothing about it. I have brick steps and vinyl siding. Can you tell me what I need to do to use this muric acid? I don't wanna harm my house nor my health... any advise you can give me will be appreciated.

Sherry [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Indianapolis, Indiana

simultaneous (2003)

Plan B, pressure wash it with a pressure washer that will get to above 2500 psi at the tip. Adding a little bleach will speed the process up a bit. Rinse everything very well when you are thru. Yes, it will roughen the surface.

(2003)

Sherry,

Go thou to thy nearest hardware store and ask them.

They should have the right acid for you AND the container should definitely say How It Should Be Used... and what precautions to take. OK?

But Muric acid doesn't exist ... you are probably thinking of Muriatic acid which is the same thing as hydrochloric acid and is used as a brick cleaner.

Soft Sand Paint Additive

Hi. Muriatic acid will etch concrete, but it's dangerous, destructive of plant life around the patio, and dangerous to get on you, in your eyes, or to breathe. Have you considered adding rubber "sand" to paint as an alternative?

Q. I was trying to match the color and tone on existing stone wall with new stone which was too light. I used Thomson waterproofing and added some Mini-wax for more darker color but I got it too dark. Can I use muric acid to lighten the too-dark tone which I sprayed onto the new stonework so it comes closer to the stonework I was trying to copy?
Rich

Rich Conant
retired - Baltimore, Maryland USA

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

Jobshops  Capital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & ConsumablesConsult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices