Need non-stick, food grade, permanent coating

2003

Q. I am trying to control biological build-up (Fungi) on the inside of a 36" diameter X 92" high Stainless steel tank. We do not need to control the biological population, just stop it from coating the tank walls, because it falls off and causes a visual defect. Process fluid is soapy water at 85 °F and pH range from 2.5 - 8.0. A test piece of Teflon impregnation fabric worked fine, so now I need to treat the inner surfaces of the tank with a similar non-stick product. The Non-Stick coating must not flake off or leach into the process fluids. I like the Ni/Teflon electro-plating technology, but our tank is too large for the local plating shop.

Tony Willis
- Pittsfield, Massachusetts

2003

A. Is the tank electropolished? If not, electropolishing the tank may solve the problem permanently because it will completely remove all "tooth".

2003

Q. Electro-Polishing ? Didn't think of that. One possible problem, on some grades a mildly abrasive fiber will be in the fluid. Would this cause micro-scratches and destroy the polish finish ? Could try it with a small test plaque I suppose.

Tony Willis
- Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA

2003

A. Sorry, I can't really answer that. I can only say that electropolishing is routinely used in the pharmaceutical and food industries to remove the "tooth" from stainless steel to discourage stuff from sticking to it. Good luck.

2003

A. This is a typical application for a Teflon Coating.

Jordi Pujol
- Barcelona, SPAIN

2003

A. We line cold water storage tanks with polypropylene (flexible). In the past we used flexible PVC; on inspection a year later there was some bacterial build up, i.e., slime. We have now changed to Polypropylene and the results are the complete reverse. One year of no build up present; this may be worth a try.

M Brightmore
- Doncaster, England

A. Kiss-Cote from KissPolymers.com is a self bonding nano-silicone coating that will relieve your problem. Best of luck!

Bruce Dean
- Central Point, Oregon

2005

My name is Hendra, now I do some research on metal coating, especially with Teflon for coating "food grade" candy mould, to make some nonstick mould to make candy. I need some information about the equipment and detailed process for make nonstick Teflon coating. And where I can get the raw material (e.g., the Teflon liquid or powder). Thank you for the information.

Best Regards,

Alfonsus Hendrawan, Mechanical Engineer
Gadjah Mada University GMU) - Yogyakarta, DIY, INDONESIA

Q. Nanotechnology nonstick coating is food grade or not?

Khushal Patel
- India

Nanotechnology

A. Hi Khushal. Although 'nanotechnology' has a specific meaning and is an exciting field, the word neither implies that a product which employs it is foodsafe, nor implies that it isn't. In that sense it's kind of similar to asking whether grey non-stick coatings are foodsafe or not -- some are, some aren't.