Satin Anodized Aluminum

(2003)

Q. I am a product design engineer working on a project for a very stringent customer. The project includes 6061 machined aluminum parts (~4 inch cubes) on which I need an "satin anodized" finish. This is a primarily cosmetic finish.

I've tried straight bead-blast then clear anodize, but got parts with a chalky appearance. I'm looking for something that has more depth & shine, but it still satin. The new Apple Powerbooks have the finish I am trying to mimic (if you've seen one!). My latest attempt included bead blasting, electropolishing, and clear anodizing. This finish is very close to what I want. A nice shiny, satiny surface. But... now I see some dark shadows in the finish (& they are sticky). I suspect the shadows are due to uneven bead blasting, but after looking through a lot of the posts here, I want to be sure. I'm on a tight deadline and want to cover all the bases. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated! Also, any suggestions for finishing processes would be great. For the process described I've got to move the parts through 3 different shops, so no one is really accountable....

Robert Garrett
- San Francisco, California, USA

(2003)

A. The most popular method of getting satin finish in our industry is to alkaline etch in Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide with additives. Sodium Fluoride at about 1.5 oz/gal on top of about 6 oz/gal of Sodium Hydroxide at 140 F for 5 minutes should get close to what you want. Then experiment from there. Off line I can recommend proprietary mixtures for alkaline etching.

Be careful with the blasting. If the media has been used with any other metal then you will be pounding the contaminant into the soft aluminum. Also the work hardening caused by blasting will affect the uniformity of any subsequent chemical treatment.

Editor's note: Mr. Probert is the author of Aluminum How-To / Aluminio El Como

My current situation with the finishing is quite similar, but the only difference is that the material we are using is Aluminum Alloy 2 series (copper), and we tried 4 kinds of finishing, most of which are not aesthetically pleasing.

E.g. Sand blasting gives a dull finish, cast finish also. SO far, only through machined surfaces have we seen acceptable results.

Is there something you can recommend to achieve a matte finishing for Al 2-series? Appreciate if you can help us.

Kenneth Rago
design - Singapore City, Singapore

May 3, 2012 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hello.
This is the best forum I found so I decided to post my question here because it is very specific.
I have small pieces aluminum which need to be coated, more quality decorative but also corrosive protected suitable for minimum 5-10 years regular external use, I made them from 6082T6 aluminum rod; because they are small I prefer chemical only if possible.
The coating must be opaque, satin , grey to light grey; also must be fine satin non-reflective, or shiny but coarse satin.
I keep several different made-in-China pieces from different manufacturers, all non conductive coatings where I can recognize one made with chromic acid anodizing, another etched with fluoride solution, but I prefer not to use dangerous fluoride acid, or any other too dangerous chemicals, I prefer to mix my own solutions suitable for room temperatures.

I made several tests:
-etching in caustic soda - crystal structure become visible, even before satin finish.
-etching in phosphoric acid - 15-30 min - fine satin, without any crystals visible.
-sulphuric acid anodizing - even fine satin etched always look like glass coated, too shiny and transparent.
-chromic acid anodizing - not very successful, the layer was too thin, semi-transparent. If I try again may look better but I read that chromic acid and dichromate are dangerous.
-boric-sulphuric anodizing - I'm not sure what I made but look like a soft transparent layer, non conductive, and still looks glass coated.

I read a lot on internet that some additives in the acid bath or in the boiling water may help but still no success, I hope someone can advise.
thanks

Ivan Petrov
- Bulgaria

Q. I am an anodiser in India, struggling to get the white matte finishing on aluminium. I would like to know which chemicals are used in anodising starting from degreasing, etching, desmutting, anodising, electro colouring and sealing. Kindly help.

Mansukhjitsingh Walia
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Surface Treatment & Finishing of Aluminium and Its Alloys
Wernick, Pinner & Sheasby

A. Hi, Mansukhjitsingh.

If you will detail your process and chemicals, I am confident that people will offer hints about what they think can be optimized but, sorry, considering everyone's preferences & prejudices at every step, and the 1001 "ifs, and, & buts" involved, it's not possible to do it in the other direction in this forum :-)

There are books available that completely detail the anodizing process though, one of which is 1279 pages =>
So please describe exactly what you are doing and what problems you are having, and in what way the process is not yet where you want it. Can you tell us what alloy you are trying to get this finish on? Do you have any pictures of what you have achieved to date? Do you have pictures of what you are aiming for? If not, are you sure that the finish you envision is even possible (white anodizing is achieved with only limited success)? Thanks!

August 10, 2017 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread; topics 2758 and 18655 are also similar.

Q. Hello All,
Attached please find pics of one of our customer's jobs apparently 'clear anodized', according to their end customer. However, they claim that even scratches and machining marks get covered up due to the clear anodizing which seems to have a matte type appearance and whitish in shade, whereas our clear anodizing comes out as usual, glossy, and does not hide any machining blemishes.

22139-1b   22139-1a  

Can anyone throw some light on any additional processes that we can carry out so that we can achieve the same finish? Does electrolytic cleaning (reverse polarity ) help? We have tried out some 'Satin Etches' in the past for some other jobs, but can't say for sure that such a finish was achieved -- would that be an option? I vaguely remember once, that a development sample which was repeatedly caustic etched for stripping and re-anodizing during trials had achieved a similar finish, but obviously it cannot be called a 'solution' :) ! Please suggest any options that may be worth trying out. Thanks in advance !

Ravi Rao
- Belgaum,India

A. If I were you I would try "shot blasting' process which gives more matte and satin finish. Also I think you won't see any scratches, machining marks ... it should be (of course) first shot blasting after etching (5-10 min.) before anodizing.
I hope you would try and share your results with us.
Good luck

alaattin tuna
- TURKEY,sakarya

Q. Hi Alaattin,
Thanks for your response! Wondering if the 'Shot Blasting' media that uses 'steel balls' might also cause 'Iron Contamination'? Another cause for worry is that the machined blocks that we usually get have drilled and tapped holes and various small holes. It had been observed in the past that these tend to get dented and damaged during shot blasting. The alternative to this - Sand Blasting OR Glass Bead blasting - is relatively 'gentler' but comes with the 'excess baggage' of 'Surface Silicon Contamination'...
Your thoughts on the above would be highly appreciated !

Ravi Rao
- Belgaum,India