-----

"Waste Stream Cu Analysis"

1998

I am treating a liquid waste stream in which copper levels range from 0 to 20 ppm. pH ranges from 2 to 13 and there are trace amounts of organics (mainly MEA) in the stream.

I am searching for some sort of in-line sensor to measure copper ions for control purposes. I've tried ORP sensors and selective copper ion sensors. Neither correlates with concentrations measured on an Atomic Absorption Spectrometer. I have been told that conductivity sensors will also not work in this environment.

Can anybody help? What other industries are required to control their copper concentrations?

Claude Romig
Westak - Forest Grove, Oregon
^

1998

Clause,

There is a small test bottle produced by Southern Water Treatment, Greenville SC, which will easily detect copper above 1 ppm. It contains somthin-somthin carbamate and when in the presence of copper produces a color change. It sounds like your typical levels are above this range, but you might contact them to see what else may be available. Try Phil Wiseman.

Good Luck

Gary Chester CEF-SE
New Albany IN
^

1998

Anodic Stripping Voltammetry provides accurate determination of copper ions on ppb and ppm level.

Several companies offers on-line analysis based on this technique, but most of them use mercury in some form.

IVA is offering "mercury-free" on-line analyzer for copper.

Gene Chalyt
ECI Technology - E. Rutherford, New Jersey
^

2000

Claude,

if you are still interested we are going to develop a sensor based on an optical approach. You do not need to have a referencede or a electrolyte solution. Concentrations of 1 micromolar have been detected. It is not available yet, but if you want to take part in the development, please contact me. We are people from some research instituts in Europe. Jurgen

Jurgen Nagel
- Dresden, Germany
^

2002

What is the normal ppm of copper in stream water?

Ren Gon
- Johnson City, Tennessee
^