How to put artist oils on steel without priming?

(1998)

I work in sheet steel..16, 18, and 20 gauge. After the sculpture is completed, I have been painting the work with artist's oil paints, and then , when dried, finishing with a Varathane drying oil.

The oil paints do not adhere as well as I would like to the steel, even after I degrease the steel, and go over it with a coarse sanding disk. Since I paint in thin oils that allow the steel to come through, I do not want to prime the metal first. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Susan L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Berkeley, California

(2004)

you can apply to the sanded steel "oil primer" or a Gamblin product that is a an alkyd resin -- Galkyd. These products are transparent, and will allow for better adhesion of the paint to your steel support.

ming
- austin, Texas

Ed. note: Thanks, Ming. Full name next time please -- this is a place of camaraderie. Thanks.