-----

How can a person anodize aluminum at home?

2003

What process can a individual who makes something out of aluminum that is going to be used in and around salt water use to anodize it at home using easily located items for the process? Thanking anyone in advance for any and all information on this subject.

James E. Manley, Jr.
Foxfire Armory - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA

2003

I too am looking for a somewhat similar solution. Specifically, I am looking for a process/product that will give the appearance of exposed aluminum the same appearance as oxidized tin/iron (rust colored). I realize alum. does not oxidize the same color and speed as iron - but I want to simulate the look. As far as solutions go, cheaper trumps faster, but I am open to all solutions. Thanks for reading this and (hopefully) responding. ken

Ken Hayes
Tampa, Florida, USofA

2003

You won't accomplish this with chemical treatment. You'll need a paint. The major manufacturers like Rustoleum offer paints to simulate a rusted finish.