Surface finish definition for stainless steel

(2003)

I am looking for the definition of surface finish no. 2B, 4, 8, ... on stainless steel. Questions related to that topics on your site in the past were pointing to Nickel Development Institute standard 9012. This standard is no longer on their site. Where can I get the information?

Christian Doucet
Kaba Ilco - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

(2003)

Check out the SSINA publications page for more information:

http://www.ssina.com/SSINA2002/SSINAsite/publications/index.htm

No. 2B finish is defined as a bright, cold-rolled finish resulting in the same manner as No. 2D finish, except that the annealed and descaled sheet receives a final light roll pass through polished rolls. This is the general-purpose cold-rolled finish that can be used as is, or as a preliminary step to polishing.

No. 2D is a dull finish which results from cold rolling followed by annealing and descaling, and may perhaps get a final light roll pass through unpolished rolls. A 2D finish is used where appearance is of no concern.

Toby Padfield
- Troy, Michigan

(2007)

I try to find out finish surface of stainless steel sheet 2B = Ra (micron-meter)? Because I see some webpage, 2B mean process of forming stainless steel sheet (cold rolled) and it is primary to polish with grit # 80, 100, 180, 240 or more for Ra below. But some webpage, I see 2B = 0.1-0.2 micron meter. I will polish inside ss tanks for surface reach to < 0.8 micron meter. The thank make for storage purify water (pharmaceutical plant). If 2B surface = 0.1-0.2 micron meter. after I weld ss sheet. I only polish seam with grit # 240, yes or not?

Please advise me as possible.

Sumittra Khemtong
- Bangkok, Thailand