-----

Small cans of spray, gray wrinkle finish paint?

2003

Black Wrinkle Paint

Affil. Link
Your purchases make finishing.com possible

Red Wrinkle Paint

Affil. Link

Q. I'm a "ham" radio operator. I am completing a mobile radio installation in my new truck and want to finish two aluminum panels that contain various switches, relays and such with a "wrinkle" finish. In the past I was able to purchase either black and gray wrinkle paint in 12 oz (?) cans but no more. I've been looking everywhere. I found Sherman Williams "Polane T" and "Polane S+" but it comes only in gallons and with the catalyst would cost $120+. Anybody know of a source for small... 8 to 12 oz spray, gray wrinkle paint? Color can be from a medium to dark gray and need only have a medium wrinkle finish, however a courser finish would be preferable. The wrinkle finish is required because of light reflecting off the smooth metal surface up into the drivers view... looking out the windshield. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Al Ferrera
- Santa Rosa, California

2005

Q. Hello, Were you able to find the paint you were looking for? I too need a wrinkle gray. I can put you on some red and some black wrinkle if that would help. Have you tried the oven method to obtain a wrinkle?

Paul Anthony
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama

----
Ed. note: For the adventurous, please see letter 409 for a discussion of how wrinkle paint works and perhaps how you can make it.

A. I am also a ham radio operator and have been searching for gray wrinkle finish spray paint in 12 oz. cans to refinish the base of an old telegraph semi-automatic key (bug). The only one I have been able to find is available from the Kennedy Mfg. Company (they make tool boxes). The have gray wrinkle paint for $40 (very pricey), but they seem to be the only "show in town."

Lawrence Stark
- St. Charles, Illinois, USA