-----

Preventing chipping of chrome Bumpers

2003

Not quite sure if this is posted in the right category, but here I go anyhow. I just put some newly chromed bumpers on my El Camino. In the process I chipped off a piece of chrome.My question is...How can I stop and prevent it from chipping off any further.

Thanks in advance!

Adam Jarrett
- Moreno Valley, California

2003

I am not seeing what you are seeing, and I don't know what happened to cause the chipping, but--

On the one hand, if the chrome was chipped off, it's gone and you will develop rusting at that spot. On the other hand, if the chrome peels off, the plating is defective. It should be difficult to chisel properly applied chrome plating off of a bumper; if it is the slightest bit possible to remove the chrome with tape, or to pull a lifted edge with pliers, or anything like that, the plating is bad.

2003

Mr. Mooney,thank you for your response! This is in response to chrome bumpers that I installed on my El Camino. When I tightened bolts that snug against newly plated chrome a chip occurred. It is about the size of a pencil eraser. I certainly do not want to replate the bumper. I applied some superglue to that area thinking this will prevent further chipping and or rust. If this was not the right thing to do,what is?

Thanks in advance!

Adam Jarrett
- Moreno Valley, California

2003

That sounds good to me, Adam. I'm just trying to say, without actually seeing the situation or what you did, that if you know you damaged the bumper and are taking responsibility yourself we're proud of you. But chrome plating is supposed to be tough, not delicate, and if the chrome chips and peels under rather ordinary circumstances it was a poor plating job and the shop should accept responsibility.

2003

Thank you for your response. I'm hoping it is not a poor plating job! But...There was a reasonable amount of force applied to the plating when I tightened the bolts. I am just thinking though,with all of the numerous chemicals, compounds, epoxies, etc...there has gotta be something to keep it from spreading.

Adam Jarrett
- Moreno Valley, California