-----

Bluing a Winchester for gunsmithing class

2003

Q. Hello my name is Stephane L. and I am 17 year old. I am presently taking a Gunsmith intensive 12 months course. The teacher ask us to find out why some Winchester 94 could not be applied the bluing process successfully. We need to find the years and serial numbers and what is the metal alloy made of. Can you please help me with this information? Thank you very much for your co-operation

Stephane L. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Masham, Quebec, Canada

2003

A. Hello,

Sorry about the late response but maybe this will help you. Some Win '94 used iron components such as barrel bands and receivers. Brownells [affil. link by editor] carries specialized blueing for their items.

Gordon E. Smith
- Columbus, Ohio

"Winchester Model 94: The First 100 Years"

Affil. Link
Your purchases make finishing.com possible

A. Starting in 1964, Winchester began using a cast alloy for the receivers on the 94 rifle, instead of the machined steel stock they had used until then. Typically wear on the receiver will look like black paint wearing off from bright nickel. This alloy is finicky as far as taking a good bluing. I have to turn mine over to someone who is far better at it than I am. I've tried to get him to share his secret recipe, but he guards it like the Colonel's 11 secret spices. He's doing a 1968 30/30 for me right now. They come out looking very nice but they aren't the rich blue that the barrels get. Good luck with your studies, and if you work this problem out, you're bound to make some money.

Bill Lawson
- Jamestown New York USA