-----

Galvanized cooker

2003

I am currently building a 3x6 foot cooker that burns on wood. The fire tank that will be burning the wood is what seems to be galvanized. Will this affect the food that will be cooking by burning the wood in this galvanized tank. The outside of the tank is the only part galvanized so it won't be directly in the fire. I was just making sure the food will not be affected by this.

Clint Wisslead
- Sciota, Illinois, U.S.

2003

It doesn't sound like a problem to me.

2003

You will initially get a low level of zinc fumes. I would run a slightly hotter than normal fire for an afternoon before cooking on it, and then you should have no problems.