Titanium stain on porcelain sink

2003

I don't know if you can help me. I have a white porcelain sink that I installed yesterday. I have a titanium wedding band. When I installed the sink my ring made a few grey streaks on the sink. I've tried to remove it with comet and a sponge, and also with a pencil eraser. Neither technique worked. I do not believe it is scratched, rather I believe it is leaving a mark that I can't remove. Have you heard of this type of thing, and do you know of anything that is good remove titanium? or is it probably a scratch.

Thanks, Joshua T [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Martinsville, New Jersey

2003

I am having the same problem with my wedding band, and my wife is ready to get me a new one. I did find one article on line that said to try; toothpaste, a pencil eraser or Whink [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. Haven't tried any yet. If anyone has any other option, please give advice.

Greg B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Russellville, Arkansas

2003

Use Lime-A-Way Toilet Bowl Cleaner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] (only the toilet bowl cleaner, not other lime away products)..let sit for a few minutes and wipe and rinse.

Shannon B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Katy, Texas

2004

I tried all the other suggestions and none worked. For Titanium scratches in a porcelain sink use ultra-fine sandpaper. The kind Body shops use to wet sand cars. It takes a little rubbing, but the scratches came out in the end.

Jay P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Salt Lake City, Utah

2004

I tried the toothpaste solution when my wife's golf clubs had left some ugly scratches in our bathroom sink, and it WORKED! It takes some serious rubbing, but in a few minutes the scratches had disappeared without a trace.

Niclas E [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Stockholm, Sweden

Oxiclean 7.22 lbs.

2006

Toothpaste (Colgate Baking Soda & Peroxide Whitening to be exact) and a little bit of Oxiclean =>
...it takes a bit of scrubbing, but don't give up! My husband scratched our white sink with his ring at 6 am and by 6:30 am we had all of the scratches out!

Julie S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Amsterdam, New York

2006

All the pesky little chores perkily completed by 6:30 AM, eh, Julie?

Please put the coffee on tomorrow and wake me up around 9 :-)

2006

Colgate & OxiClean [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] worked for me in 2 minutes of scrubbing. Great hint.

Preston Y [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Greensboro, North Carolina

2007

I had the same thing happen and I tried the toothpaste and it worked great. You have to scrub for a bit but the stains come off. It even smells nice while you're doing it.

Barb G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Aberdeen, South Dakota

2007

It worked, I love you all (and so does my husband!). Although the Colgate method took a bit longer than 2 minutes, more like half an hour. I am not sure that I would have fancied using sandpaper on my sink.

A Silveston
- Devon, UK

Had scratch-like stains on my bathroom sink found to be from my titanium watch. Tried the things published here. Didn't get good results until I used chrome polishing paste intended for car maintenance.

F Yngvason
- Akureyri, Iceland

Hello, I too went to the internet to find a way to get a titanium ring scratch off of a porcelain sink. After trying various chemicals and magic eraser, the toothpaste seemed to work the best. About 5-10 minutes of heavy scrubbing with toothpaste and Magic Eraser got the scratches mostly gone.

Jeff Stevens
- Vancouver, Washington

I tried most of the ideas mentioned above above and had no success with removing the mark. The sandpaper idea freaked me out a bit for obvious reasons until my (amazing) wife had the idea to use a nail file - which to my utter delight shifted the titanium mark !

David M. Hall
- Melbourne, australia

Used Barkeepers Friend [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] on scratches made by oven racks in a white porcelain tub. Worked like a charm!

Traci Bodette
- Essex, Massachusetts

A. Use any automotive paint cutting compound. For hard-to-remove marks, use a fine grade of emery paper (wet rub) e.g. 360 grade.

Matt Gibbs
- Melbourne VIC Australia