Making nickel plating solution

(2003)

Q. I am trying to re-build the bronze collector rings of an alternator by nickel plating them Very Thick. I am using Nickel-Chloride as my solution. This is "analytical grade" NiCl in powder form. Can anyone tell me the concentration to use to produce a US Quart of solution? Is this chemical acceptable for nickel electroplating? I am quite new at this. Thank You.

Jaun Martines
- San Francisco, California, USA

Nickel Plating Solution

(2003)

A. Sorry Jaun, but it's really not even close :-(

Nickel plating solutions like that require nickel sulphate as well as the nickel chloride, plus boric acid, wetting agents, and at least two (preferably three) different classes of proprietary organic brighteners. They're called Watts Nickel solution.

The actual situation is that you don't formulate nickel plating solutions; like gasoline, you buy it. Best of luck!