How to remove chrome (or nickel?) plating by a hobbyist

(2003)

I currently am a hobbyist that enjoys refinishing old military bolt action guns to preserve our war history. I purchased a relatively hard to find gun and the problem being is that at one time in it's life after duty, someone chrome (or nickel..unsure) plate the barrel and receiver of the gun. I am interested in removing the chrome (or nickel) plating so I can blu the guns original finish back on. I am interested in a small "detailed" way in which I can remove the plating safely without damaging the metal underneath. Can it be done chemically?---By reverse electro-plating? I am quite resourceful and am looking for a hobbyist way of doing this task....the actions size is 28" long X 4" wide X 4" height. T

hanks for all your help...and your recommendation hopefully will help preserve a piece of American war history!

John Clark
- Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA

(2003)

I would like to see the anwser to the ?

Gary Clark
- Wyonming, Michigan

(2003)

I have several hobby pieces that I wish to remove the chrome from. Did this letter receive a response?

Lee Dupont
Engineering - New Orleans LA USA

(2003)

Hello Lee.

If this particular inquiry had received a response it would have been printed here. What we do is publish questions and publish any responses. However, some questions have been asked and answered so many times that the people who know the answers have gotten tired of repeating themselves. So search the site looking for similar questions and you will probably find some answers. Good luck.