How to make Zinc Chloride

Current question and answers:

Q. Problem making anhydrous zinc chloride: Deliquescence!
Hi, I have started experimenting trying to make my own anhydrous zinc chloride.
So, everything goes well up until the aqueous solution is evaporated to make the salts, once the salt is made it starts to absorb moisture and returns to aqueous form.

19687-1b 19687-1a

What extra additions or process should I do to make the salts remain in a dry state?

Joshua Gonsalves
- Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
^- Reply to this post -^

Previous closely related Q&A's starting in:

2003

We use zinc chloride in one of our processes. We have recently had problems obtaining zinc chloride that would meet USP specifications. We performed the following additional test: * dissolved 100 g of material in 250 mL of 4 N hydrochloric acid. * filtered acid solution through 0.4 µ polycarbonate filter.

We observed particles ranging in size from 20 µ to tenths of a mm. An IR scan would indicate the presence of a basalt-like material. Would it be normal to find this type of material in Zinc Chloride USP?

Michael J. Shifflet
- Lititz, PA USA

2003

A. Even we will like to know as to how to obtain Zinc Chloride Anhydrous Powder that is practically frww from Oxychloride or Oxides. A clear solution of Zinc Chloride in water on drying develops the oxide or oxychloride.

Aamir Kamdar
- Bombay, India

Making Zinc Chloride from Zinc Oxide

2007

Q. I am a student trying to make compounds for winter break. Right now, I am trying to make Zinc Chloride from a mixture of Zinc Oxide and Zinc. I'm wondering if anyone has some tricks to do this efficiently.

Adam Smith
Student - Chicago, Illinois, USA

2007

A. Dissolve it in a minimum quantity of reagent grade hydrochloric acid, filter, then evaporate the filtrate to a syrupy consistency in a very well ventilated place. Then, dry for a prolonged period over anhydrous Calcium chloride, turning it over a lot, until you get a solid.

It is very hygroscopic (water loving) and quite difficult to get really dry.