How can I get rid of a scratch in my toilet bowl?

1       2

A discussion started in 2003 & continuing through 2017 . . .
Summary of the thread: The most frequently recommended product, and readily available is Barkeepers Friend. Several other products were found effective as well. And next time use a Toilet Auger, not a snake or coat hanger :-)

I bought a toilet auger and thought I could unblock my toilet myself without he help of a professional. I was so proud to show my husband how handy and thrifty I could be until I noticed the scratches on the toilet which the hardware store warned me not to do. I have to say unless you are a professional even using a toilet auger this is difficult NOT to do. As this site suggested I used barkeepers and it worked magic on my brand new toilet in my newly purchased home. Crisis averted with a very angry hubby!!

Jackie Owen
- Ridgewood, New Jersey, USA

A toilet in our office clogged with toilet paper. I called a neighbor who brought over a rusty snake. I asked the question, will the snake damage the toilet bowl? The reply was no. The result was yes. I was prepared to purchase another toilet because the stain was so bad that there was no way we could keep the toilet in the condition it was in.
I immediately went to the internet in search of possible hope in salvaging the expensive toilet. First thing I read was DO NOT SNAKE TOILET. I went through the comments and found TOM 'S OF CALIFORNIA which seemed the most effortless method because does not require draining the water out. TOM suggested using BARKEEPERS FRIEND. went to hardware store in Takoma Park, went back to office and was stunned at how it made the scrapes, or stains or whatever it was disappear in 60 seconds.
I began to use the same compound on the porcelain wash bowls and stainless steel bowls as well. Got all the scrapes off. thanks TOM.

Barbara Cameron
- Washington D.C. U.S.A.

The Barkeeepers Friend really worked. Unfortunately I ruined my upper toilet seat with bleach before reading this.

Lee New
- Port St. Lucie, Florida

Q. I had a tan line at the water line on my light colored toilet.
I let bleach sit in it for a bit which helped but I then decided to scrub with stainless scrubbing pad-- instantly all of the area under the water turned gray . . . oops
repeated flushing and scrubbing has not helped get rid of the stain
any thoughts?

colly R
- Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA

Toilet bowl got scratched up badly with a toilet augur. Read suggestions. Going to go out and buy some of that Beekeepers stuff, but in meantime, poured in a can of Sprite soda - right into the water. A couple hours later, scratches were disappearing! Unbelievable! Poured in another can of Sprite. Within hours, every trace of those black scratches were gone! Flushed toilet and all is well! Now just think what that soda does to your stomach! Inexpensive result!

Sue Eastford
- Hadlyme, Connecticut USA

Hi, Sue.

Uhh, does it remove black scratches from your stomach inexpensively? Am I getting warmer or colder?  :-)

I too followed this post and got a can of Barkeepers Friend to tackle my toilet auger scratches. I just vacuumed the water out, sprinkled the magic dust, wiped with a wet paper towel (while wearing gloves) and woooosh...scratches gone. Awesome product. Highly recommended for this application.

N Baird
- Chicago, Illinois

Q. We have a badly scratched up toilet bowl due to a snake. Awhile back, my husband drained and painted it. I'm not sure what kind of paint he used but the areas he painted have since turned a yellowish color - YUCK! It is a Toto bowl - and runs about 300. I'm about to replace unless there is an alternative. Not sure if I should bother trying barkeeper since it was already painted?

Any advice is appreciated.

Jill Logan
- San Diego, California, USA

Q. Thanks, the barkeepers friend worked wonderfully. A different issue I have is that we had rust in another toilet tank, trying to get rid of it, I wiped the sediment, stirring it up, and when I flushed, the bowl became rusty. I tried to clean the rust with bleach and now have a pale blue tint where the water is. I cant find anything to get rid of this. Any ideas? thanks in advance. debbie

Debbie Giannuzzi
- Tampa, Florida, USA

Q. I found this site while looking for a way to re-glaze the inside of my OLD toilet bowl.

My toilet is a "Standard" which came with the house in 1956. At some point I realized that there was a build up of calcium at the bottom of the bowl that was hindering a complete and smooth flush. After attempts to clean it with Comet failed, I emptied and dried the bowl. I got a pumice stone and worked on it... far too long... so I got a knife and scraped it, having more success.

Now, the larger problem I'm having is with the sides of the bowl, where I also used the pumice. They will not come clean. It's as though I have a permanent stain which gets really bad between weekly cleanings with Comet. I believe the pumice put hair-line scratches in the finish that were not apparent until time allowed for the stain to develop.

So I don't believe any of the remedies will help my situation, because I don't have surface scratches from an auger or a coat hanger.

I don't like the new toilets, how can I salvage/restore this old one? I know someone with a kiln, is there some way to patch this problem? Or would the whole bowl need to be re-glazed with a specific process?

Thanks for any advise to restore it.

Diane Mack
- Houston, Texas, USA

A. Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]! Works on tubs too.....

James Cullen
- St.Louis, Missouri

Q. I was scrubbing my toilet bowl in my apartment and evidently overdid it and scrubbed too much in one area. This area near the waterline is now grayed rather than white. There are no scratches, though.

Will this much mentioned Barkeepers Friend solve this issue for me? I hope so.

J Gaines
- Burbank, California

A. Metal marks in your toilet bowl?

Salt and vinegar, baby! Works like a charm.

Make a paste of salt and vinegar (lots of salt), just enough to cover the marks. Let the paste sit on the marks for a while (5-10 minutes). Scrub with a scrubbing sponge like hell. Marks will be gone in no time.

Note: this is very environmentally friendly and cheap!

Antek Bob
- Montreal, Canada

A. Baking soda and water worked perfectly. I drained the bowl using a combination of plunging the brush down it then getting the rest out with a sponge then I went at it with the baking soda and water paste.

No need for any fancy product. That's on a porcelain bowl.

Kathy Hulme
- Peckham London United Kingdom

thumbs up signTOM: Can't thank you enough for your post. You turned a 4 day problem into a 10 minute job.

David Reckard
- Highland Beach, Florida USA

thumbs up signHi,
we had lots of metal scratches on our old enamel bath ~ I read your wonderful thread ~ bought some Barkeepers Friend from Leighton Buzzard for £4.99 ~ a little elbow grease and WOW what a difference!!!
It looks like a new Bath!!
Thank you all for the Great advice and fabulous recommendation!
Kindest Regards, a very happy,
joanna,
Buckinghamshire U.K

Joanna Stanley
- mentmore Bucks United Kingdom

thumbs up signThe Barkeepers Friend worked for me as well.

John Schreiner
- St Charles Missouri USA

Scratched the toilet with pumice stone

Q. While using a pumice stone to clean a toilet in the basement apt my brother-in-law has kindly let us stay in for free while remodeling our new home we bought on auction. I have scratched it. Can someone give me advice? We can't afford a new toilet, but can't leave this either. It's an expensive one!

Kim Grantham
- Lillington North Carolina us

thumbs up signOur plumber came and 'snaked' our toilet. Removed the blockage but left tons of scratches. I tried Barkeeper's Friend based on the many recommendations. This product worked like a charm. All scratches are GONE. This product saved my marriage and maybe $300 for a new toilet.

Jim Neal
- Litchfield, Connecticut

thumbs up signJust used the Bar Keepers Friend as recommended. It worked great. All the scratches that happened when a toilet was snaked are gone. Thanks for reminding me of this great cleaner.

Bob Hamm
- Fitchburg, Wisconsin USA

Barkeeper's Friend 4-pack

thumbs up signI don't know about the other products but Bar Keepers Friend solved my problem. Thank you.

My toilet was almost black because I used a home depot metal brush to clean it.

In the first try I didn't notice any change but I tried again and yes! black color was disappearing ... next try the black was out.

Joe Martinez
- Houston, Texas, USA

thumbs up sign After having new tile flooring installed in my home, I started having problems with my guest bath toilet flushing. I discovered the tile installers flushed the grout down the toilet when cleaning up. I used a metal snake to try and remove it and thought I had ruined my toilet bowl. It had black marks galore. I was ready to change it out when I found this website. I tried the Barkeepers Friend product and was able to get it cleaned up. Thanks to all who recommended Barkeepers Friend. You saved me the cost of a new toilet bowl and labor.

John Albrecht
- Surprise, Arizona, USA

thumbs up sign I too can vouch for Harpic Power Plus to remove what seemed like ceramic damage caused by a metal edge. I had used a plunger which had a metal disc on it to clear a blockage, and it looked as though the metal disc had scratched through the enamel. I tried scouring the damage marks, and also tried a fine blade to see if it was just surface damage, both to no avail. I was convinced I had damaged the ceramic beyond repair, and was thinking I would have to buy a new toilet. I tried the Harpic Power Plus, and thankfully within 10 minutes it had dissolved the marks completely, leaving a pristine toilet again! Thank you to the OP for the Harpic Power Plus advice!

Rob Page
- Manchester England UK

thumbs up signJust wanted to add weight to the bar keeper's friend band wagon, completely got the scratches off my toilet bowl after a plumber knocked his toilet snake down there. Brilliant, thank you guys for your help!

Benjamin Phua
- Melbourne, VIC, Australia

A. Scratched toilet bowl as I incorrectly used a snake rather than toilet auger with protective sheath. VIM Cream (with micro-particles cleanser) found at grocery stores works beautifully and scratches all were removed.

W Chew
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

thumbs up sign THANK YOU TOM!!! I read your post as I searched in a desperate effort to avoid having to replace our toilet scratched by the snake. Barkeepers Friend removed all the scratches effortlessly and the stuff is cheap! You saved us the cost of a new toilet.

Karen Reinhart
- Portland, Connecticut, USA

Lime-A-Way Gel

A. LIME-A-WAY, toilet bowl cleaner, thick gel formula works without having to drain bowl etc. This is a thick green gel cleaner distributed by Reckit Benckiser and i bought it at Dollar General for a couple of bucks. Just put it around bowl under rim as you would when cleaning toilet. Let sit for about 3 hours and the scratches disappeared. I also used toilet brush before flushing and there are no signs of scratches left and there were plenty because I used a regular snake without plastic protection.

Andrea Brown
- Lawton, Oklahoma

Q. Husband blocked the toilet, as they do and used a coat hanger to clear it. When I next went to the loo I noticed all these black scratches on the toilet bowl, could have literally killed him, bathroom is 2 years old and cost £5000. So I've ordered some of the Barkeepers Friend ... do I have to drain the toilet or can I just pour some in?
Also he poured a cheap drain cleaner down the bathroom sink and lifted the chrome of the plug hole and it is now rusted -- stupid stupid man

Rosemary A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- United kingdom

thumbs up sign Just to let you all know my BKF arrived today, I poured a small amount into the loo and left it for an hour, couldn't believe my eyes, the scratches had all gone . I am over the moon

Rosemary A [returning]
- United Kingdom

thumbsdownWell, as they say, there's one in every crowd. I scratched my Black toilet up pretty badly scrubbing the bowl quite briskly, and when I got done I rinsed it out and let it dry and then the scratches all appeared, and the whole bowl was scratched considerably. I tried BKF and it didn't touch it. So I tried it again, maybe just slightly better. I did a lot of reading on the internet first before I did anything, and several sites said to use a pumice stone, so that is what put all the scratches in it. Unless someone can come up with something new that hasn't been posted yet I think I'm looking at a new toilet, and it won't be cheap since it's a one piece toilet.
As they say, you live and learn. Unless I can find a paint that is specifically used to paint the toilet bowl, I have learned a very expensive lesson: don't believe everything you read. Thanks so very much.

Robert Riegert
- Southampton New Jersey USA

Hi Robert. Sorry to hear that.

Pumice is just a stone from volcanos, and as a powder it comes in many different grit sizes, like sandpaper does. Might it be that a pumice stick used in England is made from a very fine material of flour size grit whereas the ones we find here may be formed from far coarser materials?

I wonder: are black toilets black through & through or just on the surface? Is it showing white scratches?

Easy way to empty toilet bowl of water

A. To a regular full bowl (after flushing), add enough water to make the water flush without using the handle (about 2-3 cups, more as needed). The bowl will then be almost empty because it doesn't fill back up unless you have depressed the handle. The small amount of water left probably is insignificant, but you could easily remove it with a large sponge. Then proceed with your treatment of the mineral buildup. Good luck!

Candace Allert
Just something I've learned. By Diy - Wimberley, Texas, USA

Get the dog to drink it silly :-) 

Mark Lees
- wind rock in the irish sea

1       2