Remove film from windshield with Jewelers rouge paste

2003

I have some kind of film on my windscreen of my car. I was told that if I use Jewelers rouge paste it will remove this film from my windscreen. Can anyone confirm this ?

Mark Hussey
- Bahamas

2003

I've heard of using a spot of jeweler's rouge to remove a scratch from glass, but I've never heard of spreading it all over a windshield. Maybe that "film" you're suffering from is damage to the glass caused by a previous owner who heard of this approach :-)

2004

We have the exact same windshield problem as Mark. It was apparently caused by someone running the wipers while there was dirt/sand/grit under the wiper blades. Most likely dirt mixed with water from a wet road, cast up on the windshield by the tires of the vehicle(s) just ahead. I have been doing web searches on jeweler's rouge as I have seen it suggested on several finishing/polishing-related sites, and am trying to find where I can buy it locally.

An interesting thing I learned in my researches: jewelers caution against using any product calling itself "jeweler's rouge" which is white or green (and I have seen such advertised for sale on some sites). They advise it is ALWAYS red (hence the "rouge" name...), from the ferrous oxide it contains.

Vicki Samartino
- Miami, Florida

Ed. note: Just as sandpaper comes in varying grits or grades, and you wouldn't try to finish off fine furniture with a floor sander, so it is with buffing abrasives. Other abrasives are not inferior to red rouge, they are for different purposes and are coarser or finer than jeweler's rouge [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]

2004

I have a chrome wheel, with degreaser stains on them, would that red jewelers rouge work with a buffing wheel? nothing else has worked so I'm trying anything.

Jake Kierblewski
- Little Ferry, New Jersey

2004

At the web site "recipegoldmine.com/house/house131.html" is a Glass Scratch Remover Paste recipe: 2 tablespoons glycerin (buy at drugstore), 2 tablespoons jeweler's rouge, and 2 tablespoons water. Make paste, dab on clean cloth and rub scratched areas. If deep scratch, repeat as necessary.

Louis Redd
- Lynchburg, Virginia

I have had great results in the past using a jeweler's rouge paste to take nasty scratches out of windshields on classic cars. Even when used in direct line of vision, no distortion or haze was left. I am going to start using it again in my detailing business to repair marks left from worn wiper blades.

Mike Pung
detailing- Charlotte, Michigan