Pennies dissolving in different acids. Why does it happen?

2003

Hey everyone,

I am working on a science project and I need your help. I am going to do an experiment with pennies dissolving in different types of acids but my problem is that I can't find any information about this subject. I am also going to explain why it dissolves. So if you got any information about this subject please reply asap.

Thanks for your help.

Robert W.
- Mosinee, Wisconsin

2003

Although they are plated with copper, pennies are made of zinc. The copper plating is porous and zinc readily dissolves in most acids.

I need to know anything you can tell me about what dissolves pennies the fastest. If the liquid is available to an 11 year old, even better. I need the information by 02/25/08, please.(I'll be using this info for my science fair project)I'm in 5th grade.

Savanna M
student - Kissimmee, Fl., United States

Make sure your pennies are from after 1982 so they have a zinc core. Then fold them in half with pliers or a vice and a parent's help, and put two in Coke and two in lemon juice and two in vinegar and see what happens in a few days. Good luck.

Mr.Mooney,
Thanks for that help:)I need more help now!If I want to get the pennies, where do I get them? I need to get some because I don't have very many.

savanna M
student - Kissimmee,FL,US

Your neighbor three doors down on the right has a lot of pennies -- the woman with the red hair and the small black dog :-)

Seriously, Savanna, that's a question to ask your parents or teacher, not somebody who lives seven states away! I'm sure they can help.