Question about the electroless polishing

2002

I would wonder that if the electroless polishing the steel would change its original nature particularly the mechanical strength?

Benlogo G.B. Huang
Benlogo G.B. Huang
- Guangzhou, China

2002

I have never heard that and don't see why electropolishing would adversely affect the strength of the steel.

2002

He said electroless-- that would be a chemical (acid) polish. There are a few out there in commercial use. I would expect it to have a possibly significant effect and certainly a bake after would be a minimum requirement. There are too many possible factors to say if it would be ok or bad for his use, especially since he did not state the parameters or the use or the requirements. Old addage- When in doubt, Don't.

2003

Yes, he said electroless, Jim, and I missed it. Thanks. But based on the difficulties many English-as-a-2nd-language visitors have with our confusing chemical processing terminology, I'll bet a beer that he meant electropolishing :-)

2003

As I know, maybe chemical polishing is a bit out in now days. But some old art maybe would become a fashion again if it is reconsidered in some application. Herein, why I put that the mechanical strenth is that if chemical polishing can succeed in the job which I am going to research,. It would absolutely be fashion again. aAl it depend on the test.

Benlogo G.B. Huang
Benlogo G.B. Huang
- Guangzhou, China

2003

But the important thing is, I owe James a beer.

2003

Chem polishing is a great process when done correctly. Important to agitate the part, cool the solution, etc. It imparts a lot of stress due to hydrogen embrittlement and has to be post baked, unlike electropolishing, which is a stress relieving process.

Dan Weaver
- Toccoa, Georgia