Repair of a scratched stainless steel refrigerator door

2002

How can I repair a scratch on the stainless steel door of my refrigerator (new kitchen aid)? I know that jewelers are able to buff off the serial numbers on expensive watches without leaving a trace, can it be done on a fridge?

Steven Boll
- Orlando, Florida, USA

2003

I would like to know how to get a scratch out of a stainless steel refrigerator.

Sandra St. Mary
- Franklin Park, Illinois, USA

Ed. note: Please also see our FAQ, "Repairing scratches in stainless steel refrigerator doors".

2004

I, too, have the same dilemma. I have searched the web, called Kitchen Aid, etc, etc. No one has a solution short of buying a new door panel or fridge. The only thing I found that got the scratch to look less severe was to use a silver Crayola crayon. Literally. It's not completely gone but its appearance is minimal. The crayon filled in the depth of the scratch and really made a difference in the overall look of the door. It does not bother me as much now.

Good luck,

Melissa Yarali
Home maker - Boca Raton, Florida, USA

sidebar 2005

Dear Sir,

Please refrain from posting messages obviously intended to gain information on removing serial numbers from watches.

Toby K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Chicago, Illinois, USA

Ed. note: You stumbled upon this thread by putting a term like "serial numbers on watches" into a search engine, Toby -- but that does not mean that this thread is about that. We have hundreds of inquiries here about removing scratches from stainless steel sinks and appliances, and to imply that the real interest of most of these people is to learn how to remove serial numbers from watches is so far beyond ludicrous that we deleted your last name to keep you from making a fool of yourself in public.

But if you search our site hard enough you'll find an inquiry from a law enforcement laboratory about any new ideas we might have about how to detect the remnants of defaced serial numbers. We printed no public responses for obvious reasons, but we did put some experts in touch with that officer privately.

2006

Hello all in response to the question is there a way of fixing scratches in stainless -- the answer is, yes, as long as it is true brushed stainless without any coatings on it; the product is Scratch-B-Gone [a finishing.com supporting advertiser], it takes a little work but the results are great

Ken Fors
- Colebrook, Connecticut, U.S.A.

I have started a side business of repairing SS for my builders and remodelers in the Dallas Ft Worth area. It took a while to get the feel of it. I have removed deep scratches to minor blemishes and stains on appliances, sinks, fireplace surrounds, etc. Like the other posts have noted, there is a lot of elbow grease that goes along with this. I'm lucky in that I sell high end appliances and have the opportunity to work on various products to refine my skills.

The scratch b gone is a good product. The problem is that it still comes down to technique and skill. I have seen customers do more damage than the original scratch with products like this. You have to work with the grain. If your SS is EZ clean or any type of any other type of finger print resistant finish, you will NOT be able to make the scratch go away. You will just make it worse. don't try to fix this type of finish.

I use various grits of Sandpaper [affil. link to info/product at Rockler], Scotch Brite pads, 0000 steel wool [affil. link to info/product at Rockler], Barkeepers Friend [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] etc. There are different products for different needs.

You need to remove the scratch (working with the grain) and then "blend" that area with the rest of the surface. This is where technique comes into play. It's a matter of working the repaired area to make it match the rest.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

JG

John Green
- Trophy Club, Texas