Blackening tin

(2002)

I have some galvanized tin sheets that I want to blacken. Want kind of chemical will work for that application and where would I get it.

Mike Evans
- Denver, Colorado

(2002)

Hi, Mike. I doubt that you mean actual tin metal, i.e., the element "tin". You probably are using "tin" as slang for steel sheet metal?

The reason it matters is that the element tin reacts very differently to chemicals than the element zinc -- so it is important to know whether this metal is tinplate (tin coated) or galvanized sheet metal (zinc coated).

Black Patina for Zinc

(2003)

Ok, I think you are right. It is galvanized steel. How can I blacken it? If you know, please.

Mike Evans
- Denver, Colorado

Hi, Mike. There is a black patina made for zinc (probably most often used by stained glass crafters). I'm not sure this works on galvanized metal, but my best guess is it should. Good luck.

(2003)

Black for tin (maybe for tin plate too):

Black for tin II:

- Zagreb,Croatia

Birchwood-Casey Gun Bluing

(2005)

WHAT CHEMICAL CAN I USE TO BLACKEN STEEL? IT IS STRUCTURAL AND ALREADY IN PLACE.
SEAN

SEAN LOCKYER
- PALM SPRINGS, California

(2005)

If all else fails, there's always black paint, Sean :-)

Most good black coatings, like black zinc plating, black nickel plating, and black chrome plating will prove impractical for work that is already in place. You could apply a cold black oxide (gun bluing), but this requires that the steel be very very clean, and it offers no corrosion resistance--you would have to keep the steel oiled, which is probably impractical.

(2005)

I found out accidentally that galvanized steel can be rusted by using muriatic acid, I was cleaning my pool filter in my galvanized tub. Afterwards the tub started rusting over the next few weeks.

Tammy Rasmussen
- Lakeland, Florida

Muriatic Acid

Yes, Tammy, muriatic acid dissolves the zinc coating almost instantly, leaving you with bare, rusted steel

Hi how do I blacken lead free pewter? Thanks for your help!

Charisse Papworth
spin caster - Mapua, Nelson, New Zealand

Hi, Charisse. Lead-free pewter is basically tin -- usually 90 to 98 percent tin. As such, Goran Budija's suggestions are probably the answer. Good luck.