Brushed aluminum finish, belt sander modifications

2002

After reading these notes I now do not feel so bad with having wasted one week and 1KUSD or so on trying to achieve this brushed aluminum finish. I think the soft bed is key when dealing with metal, but how does one go about retrofitting a belt sander with a sheet of rubber. Won't the rubber be gone in short order. Also the belt keeps drifting when we apply presume to the part. Its fine when the belt is rotating with no part, but as soon as the piece is placed on the belt it starts drifting. Tighter belt?

Maurice Duteau
- Shanghai, China

2002

This is not my area of expertise; however, I'm not so sure just any belt system can be retrofitted. Most systems I have seem allow the flat parts to go between 2 belts and the drive belt is cushioned and runs at a very slow speed. I'm not sure of the 2nd belt. If you have slippage, you may not have enough crown in your belt wheel(s). Lastly, as an alternate method, you might try a non-woven wheel system instead, unless your parts are too wide.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania