Aluminum Fuze Sleeves and TCE

2002

I have two requests. First, I am looking for an expert or someone with knowledge on how aluminum fuze sleeves, which are timing devices for ordnance, were made by companies under contract to the Navy for the Vietnam War. Also, I know that at least 3 or 4 companies made aluminum fuze sleeves for the Navy during this timeframe, but I don't their identities. Second, I am curious if anyone knows whether trichloroethylene (TCE) could have been used in the manufacturing, cleaning or anodizing processes on aluminum fuze sleeves.

Mark Bilut
McDermott - Chicgo, Illinois, USA

2002

TCE was quite likely to have been employed in the finishing of these parts because it was the preferred solvent in vapor degreasers for a couple of decades, and vapor degreasing is good way to start the cleaning and finishing process. Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature