Bronzing Wax Objects

1998

We have been asked to bronze a set of "wax hands." It is our intent on filling the hollow portion of the hands with a liquid substance that will harden. However, most liquid hardeners produce heat, increasing the risk of melting the wax (approx 1/4" thick).

We have successfully bronzed wax objects before, but have not tried hollow objects. Are there any suggestions?

Todd S. Miller
- Oceanside, California

1998

Will filling it with plaster of paris and then masking the plaster off work?

- Fl

1998

Mr. Watts

It could work, however, I prefer to use a higher quality material (company philosophy). Have considered fiberglass with a DE powder for the filler, however, the heat created by the hardening compound may melt the wax unless I used a slow reacting combination. Any other options anyone can think of?

Todd Miller
Bronze Company II - Oceanside, California

1998

Dow (and others) make a two component RTV that generates very little heat and has several different catalysts to give long or short pot life times.

I do not think that epoxies give off as much heat as polyesters. Would be worth checking out with a Mfg.

-Fl

1998

This may not seem to be a very technical alternative, but why not just refrigerate the wax while the resin in hardening? It will certainly slow the reaction, but as long as you're not in a big hurry, the outcome should be the same.

It would be a good idea to cool the resin before mixing, so the reaction will start off slowly.

Danny

Danny Miller

1998

I am interested in bronzing a box of 64 crayons. Can this be done and who and where do I either send the crayons or money. It can be any box of 64 crayons I would like the top to be open on the box so that when you see it it looks like an open box of crayons.

Luann Skolnik