Fluorides in water and toothpaste

A discussion started in 2002 but continuing through 2017 . . .

2002

Q. Hi all,

I am a student, please answer me on my question: I want to know what is the advantage of the fluoride ion in the water you drink and the toothpaste you use?

Thank you all.

Hoiusain [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Lebanon

The Dose Makes the Poison

First of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

Fluoride is put into drinking water and toothpaste because it strengthens children's teeth and reduces the risk of cavities and tooth decay. It also helps strengthen bones. Fluoride in high doses is harmful and can be toxic, but the dosed levels are well within the safety ranges. Exposure to higher levels of fluoride can turn teeth black.

Second of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

Fluoride is an element and an essential nutrient. Apparently, the first sign of deficiency is in abnormal development of teeth, therefore topical application via toothpaste is used; it is certainly proven to reduce tooth cavities. Many people believe that some environments do not provide a reliable source of fluoride, so it is added to the water supply.

Q. I would like to know, what are the benefits of putting fluoride in drinking water?

If I remember correctly fluoride is an industrial {BY-product} of the nuclear, aluminium and other industries.

It's first use in water was during the period after the US Manhattan project when dangerous fluoride leaked into the atmosphere and a justification was created on national security grounds that it is safe and beneficial.

Half Europe has now banned this substance from drinking water including Germany, Holland, Austria Norway etc.
So can anyone tell me why this is any safer to drink than RO/DI water? And can RO/DI systems filter the fluoride out of the water?

Brandy White
Hobbyist - Norman, Oklahoma

I don't believe that Manhattan Project story, Brandy. Can you reference a respected journalist on it?

There is simply no question of how vital fluoride is to dental health. Whether it should or shouldn't be in drinking water today, though, is a matter of a sociological choice. Maybe it should only be in toothpaste. Maybe we don't have hicks anymore who would not get it anywhere if they didn't get it from the water. There are some communities in the USA that fluoridate the water and some that don't, but I don't know offhand where to find a comprehensive list.

Benefits of fluoride ion in water and toothpaste? I need to make a research about it: help me please.

fofo ana
chemistry - lebanon

thumbs up sign Hi Ana. If you'd like people to critique your report, or comment on sources you are quoting, or whatever, I'm sure they'll be very glad to help. But you can't possibly pose your question the way you did, i.e., "I've done nothing at all on my own project and I want you to do it for me", especially when some of those talking points have already been mentioned right on this page and you blew them off rather than working them into your question :-)

Thanks. I found lots of fluoride resources reading through tuberose.com/Fluoride.html

John Olsen
- Hawthorne, California, USA

"10 Facts About Fluoride You Need to Know
By Dr. Mercola

"If fluoride is really the panacea for dental disease that it's been portrayed as, then why is it that the United States is one of the only developed countries that fluoridates their citizens' drinking water?

Hint: It's not because the other countries aren't aware of fluoride's supposed "miracle" powers for your teeth it's because they fully realize that adding a known poison to your population's water supply is probably not a good idea ..."

Pierre joly
- Conklin, Alta, Canada

----
Ed. note: Thanks for posting that article in its entirely, Pierre, but we're not allowed to profit from other people's work. So we've posted only the intro of the article. If people want to see the article they must go to http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/13/10-important-fluoride-facts.aspx. Thanks again.