Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Bead blast surface finish

2002

I am looking for different surface finishes that specify for "MATTE, GLASS BEAD BLAST" My company uses #10, but I have no Idea what kind of surface finish it actually is. Could someone help me locate a chart specifying the different sizes/ surface finish it bead blast gives.

Robert G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Irvine, California, USA

simultaneous 2002

You know, your question points out one of the problems of the surface finishing industry. There are just too many variables. I know of no list. If there was, here are some of the problems it would have to take into consideration: the material you are working, its hardness, the type and size of media you are using, the pressure and or the nozzle you are using. Other than that, there is no problem. Basically all blast finish are consider matte and exceed an RMS of 35. Normally the harder and more symmetrical the media the smoother the surface finish

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania

++

Bead blasted finish on stainless steel surface can best be described as frosted finish. Actual size of the beads can also make a difference in achieving the desired matte finish. This matte finish can also be achieved using chemical acid etched bath as well.

Michael Liu Taylor
Michael Liu Taylor
   specialty stainless steel distributor
Dallas, Texas

I also want to know which is matte finish Bead-blasted.
One of my customer want to make their goods with Matte finish Bead-blasted.
And now the tooling is finish, factory is asking which kind of Matte finish Bead-blasted will be used.
Anyone can help?

Kate Jiang
- Jiaxing, Zhejiang, China

Hi, Kate

Bead blasting is an operation that is done in sand blast cabinets, but the blasting media is small glass beads. It's often done on stainless steel parts, and the result is a frosted look. An example can be seen on letter 32950. But it is difficult for you to comply with their intention without samples sent from them or to them.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever