Low temperature resistant protective coatings

2002

We have constructed a set of wood drawers for a -20C freezer in one of our science facilities. These drawers require a coating to protect them from sea-water and any chemicals that may come in contact with them. However, it is difficult to find a coating that is also resistant down to such low temperatures. Do you have any advice or answers to this problem?

Mike Colela
- San Diego, California, USA

2002

Mike,

Surely you've tried the paint manufacturers? I would have thought that a good Polyurethane, the 2-component not the off-the-shelf so-called Pu would be good. Another alternative is to use a Polyester, Vinylester or an Epoxy. But all 'paints' or coatings might get slightly brittle. Hence, I'd suggest an ultra thin diluted coat followed immediately by using fibreglass matt which should be fully wetted out. Be careful of epoxies as they are a bit of pig to work with unlike the thermosets mentioned above.

Freeman Newton [dec.]
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada

(It is our sad duty to advise that Freeman passed away

2002

I would not worry about a coating. Any plastic or epoxy type coating will be questionable at that temperature. Any future drawers I would construct from teak. It loves a salty environment and is very durable.

Todd Osmolski
- Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

finishing.com is possible thanks to our supporting advertisers, including this one:

CMLSbanner