Patina for bright brass fireplace surround

2002

I have a bright brass (presumably lacquered) fireplace surround. I would like to create a patina finish. As it is obviously subjected to high heat, is there a particular product or process you would recommend?

Theresa Mooney
- Christina Lake, BC, Canada

2004

Looking for a chemical that will allow a slight to moderate change to the brass fireplace finish- making it antique brass. The surround is solid brass with a coating, I believe.

thank you

Carolynn F Sasso
homeowner - Neshanic Station, New Jersey, United States

2004

Brass tarnishes, so if it is still shiny it is because it is coated. Hopefully the coating is brass lacquer which can be removed with lacquer thinner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. Then the brass will tarnish as you probably wish. Good luck.

2006

I have beautiful brass fireplace doors and and changed my decor in the room that I want to tone it down or make it a rustic look. Is this possible or will I have to replace them?

Susan Lapour
Retired - Blue Springs, Missouri, USA

2007

I am a homeowner who is tired of looking at my dated brass-plated fireplace insert. There is nothing wrong with the insert other than the outdated look hence my desire to refinish it as opposed to replace it. This is a gas fireplace that has rarely been used since gas prices have risen so high but I can't rule out future use of the fireplace. Is it possible to refinish this surface so that it will have an updated look and still be fireplace friendly? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kay Bammert
Consumer - Marquette, Michigan