Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

White Gold or Palladium?

2002

Hi!

I am planning on buying my wedding band, and I would like it to be white gold, but I've heard about discoloration... that it would start turning yellow. I have a ring that's made of palladium and maybe I could use the metal to make my band. I would like to know what would be better, to make my ring of white gold or of palladium. Which one of this metals is better? or if it's better to do it gold with palladium.

Thank you!

Karla Garza
- Mexico

2002

There are basically two types of white gold. Either the gold is made white by the addition of nickel or the addition of palladium. Typical nickel white golds will tarnish because they tend to have other elements in them that tarnish such as copper. Palladium white golds probably tarnish less but still do. If you have a allergy to nickel stay away from nickel whites. If you want to make the ring from palladium it certainly would be worth more but it is probably an alloy anyway maybe even palladium white gold. I would have the ring made from a palladium white gold if a white metal is what you want.

Tino Volpe
- Wrentham, Massachusetts