Corrosion testing of marble

2002

I am inquiring if there is a standard specification for simulating an accelerated corrosion test for marble. The marble is to be used for tiling around a heated salt water swimming pool that is indoors.

Matt Hogan
- Melbourne, Australia

2002

Hi Matt,

Personally I haven't a clue if there is a test and if there NEEDS to be a test for marble.

What is marble? Calcium, essentially. What is seawater? Calcium. Heck, I'm tooting sure that the Roman baths in Bath, UK must have used marble ... but I can't quite imagine them saying, 'hey, Cassius, d'yer think that our marbellus romanus ordinariis is OK?' Worry not, I'd think. Sure looks like Marble is a super idea.

2002

This testing of this marble is to merely satisfy the requirements of an individual who is perhaps a little eccentric and worried about the 'look' of his designs and potential problems. From my perspective I agree, but surely there has got to be some test out there. After all, most materials including ceramics, concretes etc corrode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Hogan
- Melbourne, Australia

sidebar 2002

I'd try looking for swimming pool and/or marble websites. It doesn't sound like you'd have any problem with marble and sea water, but I must admit I'm well out of my depth.

Ian Brooke
- Glasgow, Scotland

2002

Hi again Matt,

Tell your party that when (and this seems to happen every year) they find sunken cities in the sea full or marble this-n-that, the marble is untouched! Hence he will have no worries UNLESS he spills acids on his marble!

You are right to say that materials can corrode ... but only in the presence of chemicals. Even some stainless can corrode in salt water as it doesn't like the chlorides.

Worry not!

Freeman Newton