PENNY RESEARCH: How are pennies made?

2002

Will some one PLEASE tell me how pennies are made! I have to do a report on pennies and need info now!

Shelby [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Streetsboro, Ohio, United States of America

First of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

Zinc sheets are 'blanked' into coins, the blanks are copper plated, and then the pattern is stamped into them at the mint.

Second of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

Think for a minute! Who makes pennies? The US Mint. Our government spends jillions of dollars on web sites. So, I went to google.com and entered US mint and penny. About the 5th entry down (and the only obvious one) was a link to the US Mint FAQ. It lists all of the steps on the mfg. of pennies. Now, you must realize that if your teacher is worth 2 pennies, she/he will realize that you copied it from the site! Next time, really think for a whole minute, before you run to the internet and ask someone else to do your thinking for you.

2005

Hey I really need to know how pennies are made now. I went to the US mint page and I couldn't get anything like I wanted. So if you can help me thanks.

Sara S.
- Santee, South Carolina

2005

Hello, Sara. I went to the mint site again myself to see why the information wasn't there, but it was. It explains the steps as blanking, annealing, washing and drying, upsetting, striking, inspecting, counting and bagging. Then it briefly explains what is involved in each of these steps. What did you want then that was not covered by that explanation? That site also has a 'contact us' page.