Welding on aluminum wheels

2002

I purchased a set of polished aluminum wheels from a friend. One has a small hole about a quarter of an inch on the front side or polish side of the wheel. I have no way of knowing just what type of aluminum they are. My question is it possible to weld this hole up or seal it with something on the unpolished side or tire side of wheel without burning or damaging the finish on the polished side. Would rather repair than replace, please help.

Steve Barber
- Athens, Alabama

2002

I had an aluminum wheel with small cracks/flaws in the casting and it leaked air. We used a good epoxy on the tire side and sealed it.

Tom Hand
- Kansas City, Missouri

2003

I've seen that on cast aluminum wheels, but the hole is usually drilled on the inside of the wheel to intentionally destroy usability and prevent reuse of a damaged (stress-cracked or other problem) that rendered the wheel to be unsafe.

If you know the brand, I'd take it to a dealer that sells that make and ask. I certainly wouldn't attempt to circumvent the reason the hole was put there at onset. That wheel may very well be cracked in places tough to see with the naked eye.

Hope this helps, Greybeard

Lynn M. Perry, Sr.
- Plano, Texas