Satellite Centrifuge

2002

I have heard about satellite centrifuges as opposed to centrifugal finishers. One source told me they are an old concept. Another says that they do a better job than vibrofinishers, if you deal with small parts. Has anybody experience with this type of equipment? Can you tell me whether the above statements are true? Are there any drawbacks?

Giovanni M. Ciriani
- Altavilla, VI, Italy

2002

I haven't ever heard of satellite centrifuges. However, I have heard of "drag finishing", don't think it's a very good name, and might be the thing you are talking about. In drag finishing, part are dragged through a race-track shaped tub of finishing media but are mounted on a spindle such that they can also rotate on their axis as they are dragged. Does this sound like a satellite centrifuge?

2002

This is a new one on me. I think someone has given you or mixed up a trade or model name to either a centrifugal disc or barrel system for mass finishing equipment. There are 3 generations or technologies used in mass finishing systems. Centrifugal or high energy is the newest, fastest, most aggressive, and most expensive of these systems.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania

2002

One company selling them describes them as centrifugal tumblers. I described them as satellites, since the bucket with the media rotates around an axis, which is parallel to the main rotation axis. The former then rotates around the main axis (in a fashion similar to a satellite around its planet).

Giovanni M. Ciriani
- Altavilla, VI, Italy

2002

OK got your answer. There are 2 types of high energy centrifugal mass finishing systems or machine designs. One is a disc finisher and the other is a barrel system. The one you described now is the latter. These machines operate just like the old fashion barrel of old. As they rotate or spin, they are also spinning in a counter rotating movement that produces the highest g's ( up to 30-35g's) or pressure of all mass finishing equipment systems. These systems also have some variations or how they operate and/or the position of the barrels.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania