I need silver recovery method

2002

I am taking AP Chem at Bishop Foley and I am looking for the best method of extracting Ag out of AgCl.

Travis deleted
- Royal Oak, Michigan

"Recovering Silver from
Photographic Materials"

by Eastman Kodak Co.

First of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

Firstly, mix AgCl and pure water(deionized water) then and add Zn powder, AgCl + Zn => ZnCl2 + Ag.

Secondly, If reaction is done, you cannot see the white AgCl. then add HCl until H2 gas off. This process can remove excess Zn powder.

Thirdly, filtering and washing until pH7.

Finally, burning them(include filter paper) at 1000 °C for 30 min, and melting them with O2 torch.

You can obtain pure Ag...

Gyu-Sik KIM
- KOREA(south)

Second of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

The word "best" is interesting. The fastest, the cheapest, the least technology, the purest product or ? It really makes a difference on how you approach the problem. The "best" way is to ship it to Harmon and Handy or a similar company and pay them for the processing. This is the cheapest , fastest, highly pure, and easiest for quantities less than several hundred tons. If your teacher asked the question the way you did, H & H is the best answer. I am sure that is not what he/she is looking for, but it the correct answer for the way it was stated.

none spacer