Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Is there a Spec for "Pickling and Oiling"?

An ongoing discussion from 2002 through 2015 . . .

2002

Q. I am just beginning to become familiar with finishing processes (electroplate black zinc to be specific). The material I am interested in having plated can be one of the following: hot rolled & heat treated alloy steel, or cold drawn & annealed alloy steel. A plater recommended that I specify a pickle and oil process for the hot rolled material before proceeding with the electroplate zinc.

1. What exactly is involved with the pickle and oil process?

2. Why is it recommended (or necessary) for hot rolled and not cold drawn material?

3. What is the correct designation for specifying this type of treatment? Are there any standards for this process?

4. Can a part be tested to determine whether or not it has undergone this treatment?

I know these may seem like elementary level questions to an experienced plater, but I've had difficulty finding a basic explanation of the pickle & oil process and the need for it.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Stephanie Stewart
- Westminster, South Carolina

2007

Q. Dear Sir/ Madam,

Please, send me answers of these questions.

Umesh Kedari
- Pune, Maharashtra, India

Q. I am wondering if there is a standard out there for pickle and oil of steel. I am trying to find either an ISO or ANSI or GM standard. Thank you.

Chris VanHeusden
- Harrison Twp, Michigan USA