The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

Procedure for plating

2002

i want to know the step by step procedure and chemicals used in chrome, titanized, nickel and gold plating. I am in the metal business for 25 years and I always have to pay somebody to do plating for me. PLEASE help!

karen lim
- manila, philippines

2002

Tell us the complete step by step procedure for the metals business, as you have learned it from your 25 years experience, and then I'll tell you what I've learned in my career in plating, Karen :-)

I'm sorry, but your question is hopelessly broad. Start by reading two or three plating books from the booklist that we have prepared for you, then get back to us with some specific questions. Good luck.

2002

Absolutely right Ted! Why do so many people outside the plating industry think that the service platers perform is one which is very simple and, of course, one which they grossly overcharge for? As a chemical supplier, I can state that not a day goes by when we do not get several calls from individuals or small manufacturers that want to "set up a plating tank, so I can dip some parts".

Unlike some people, I do feel that part of the problem is that platers are not doing an adequate job in educating their clients as to what plating is, how heavily regulated our industry has become and just how rigorous the requirements to do high quality decorative or functional plating.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

2007

I'm in a motorcycle parts business. I want to put up a plating shop for motorcycle parts.
Is it possible to put up in my backyard? How much capital would I need? where can I learn the technical procedure?

gerald lim parrno
GP TRADING - PHILIPPINES

March , 2007

Please start with our FAQ on chrome plating, Gerald, then obtain a couple of the books from the list. It is inappropriate to do electroplating in other than an industrial environment. Good luck.