Alloy selection for patina brass parts

2002

Q. We manufacture copper tabletops and apply a patina and wax sealer on these. We have made thousands of these and have become quite good at color and visual texture uniformity. We are now getting into an antique brown Patina on a BRASS ALLOY. The patinas on brass seem more fragile that those on copper. We can use one of 3 alloys: Red Brass C2300, Muntz C2800 or Navel bronze C4640. My questions are: Is one of these alloys better suited to a brown patinization? And.. Is the "fragile nature" of my brass patina inherent to the metal, or is it my inexperience with this new material? Thanks in advance, Andrew Kelly

Andrew Kelly
- Miami fl USA

2004

A. I think you mean 'copper alloy', not 'brass alloy'. Brass is an alloy of copper zinc and lead, so the term 'brass alloy' doesn't really mean anything.

Guillaume Sudeterre
- Missouri