Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Oil Can Finish on golf clubs

2002

I am interested in learning how to put an "Oil-can" finish on a carbon steel golf club, but have no idea what this entails... I have blued several times, however I feel that this is much different... Thanks

Brad Fraley
- Jeffersonville, Indiana

2003

i would like to know this too.

Jamie K
- Louisville, Kentucky

2006

If you look at the Scotty Cameron website glossary list "www.scottycameron.com/studio/library.asp" you will see that an oil can finish is a "Oil Can Brown black oxide finish that has an iridescent look like oil. This is achieved by heating the putter. Scotty wanted a putter that has a worn leather look and his Tour Rep, Larry Watson coined the term Oil Can because the finish looks like it has a fine film of oil on it." Perhaps if you can find some Brown Black oxide you may be able to achieve this beautiful finish for your own clubs.

Brent Gatto
- Wilmette, Illinois

2006

Hello, my name is Mat, and trying to get a different look for my golf clubs. I am curious on how to turning a steel-headed golf club to have an "oil-can finish". I noticed on the web that this is also referred to as a "Brown black oxide finish". I've been searching the web quite a bit, but just can't find any info on how to do this. I searched your site, and noticed the black oxide finish, but didn't know if this is the same thing. Do you know how to do this, or point me in the right direction to find out how to do this. Thanks for any info!

Mat Segal
golf enthusiast - Gaithersburg, Maryland

The oil can finish on Scotty Cameron putters is not the same as on the Vokey Oil Can wedges. The putter finish can be achieved using something like Birchwood-Casey Plum Brown [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] finish combined with heating the putter head. But it will look like the examples on the Scotty Cameron website, which is nothing like the Vokey Oil Can finish.

I haven't found anything that produces the same look as the Vokey finish, but there are products that produce a dull brown finish which may be acceptable. Laurel Mountain Forge makes a solution called Barrel Brown & Degreaserhttp://www.avantlink.com/tpv/10077/0/7091/8707/17532/cl/image.png" WIDTH=1 HEIGHT=1 ALIGN=bottom style="border: 0px;" /> [linked by editor to product info at Brownells], which produces a rust brown finish. Their website gives specific directions.

Given the way the wedges look, and the relative ease with which the finish is removed (hit a few balls on an Astroturf mat, and it starts to come off) I think it's some kind of color anodize or Alodine (Alodine 1201 [linked by editor to product info on Amazon] ) coating. I'm just starting to fool with this, if anything comes of it I'll post my results and the process.

Mike Bielefield
- Hebron, Connecticut

Hello!

I've a question concerning my golf clubs.

I have three Titleist Vokey Wedges that used to have a so called "oil can" finish.
I would like to renew this finish but can not find any kind of tutorial.
All I know is that it is a special procedure of oil oxidation.

Is it possible to create such finish at home?
What materials and machines do I need for it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Helge von Selasinsky
hobbyist - Göttingen, Germany