Translucent colored paint for acrylic

2002

I have several different colors of acrylic (plastic). I want to paint the edges with a colored gel or translucent type paint. I found a washable poster paint that looks great, but it fades in the sunlight to almost nothing. It also peels off with a rub of the finger. Is there a way I could use this gel paint without it fading or peeling off? Or is there something else I could use?

R Christian
- Tucson, Arizona, USA

2002

Hi R.C.,

You've answered your own question. You said you used an easily washable-off paint on acrylic ... and you really EXPECT that to bond? No way!

You are going to have to get a paint that will 'attack' the acrylic, i.e., a lacquer type ... any paint with, say, Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or a polar solvent, too, would do it. But easily washable-off? No way! Once that's on you've had it ... unless you use a solvent such as acetone to remove it ... but on clear acrylic an excess of that could cause some mini crazing.

As far as fading is concerned, I haven't a clue. Even thick red paint on cars starts to fade.