Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Laser Cutting Dross - Magnetic Properties

2002

I am currently looking at an application that see's a laser cutting station cutting steel muffler sections. The current conveyor is failing due to the abrasive qualities of the laser Dross. My question is whether or not the Dross is magnetic. I was thinking that perhaps the cutting process might change the properties. Can anybody help me?

Craig Gagnon
- Mississauga, ON, Canada

2002

It depends on the SS used. but, why ask about theoretical. Put a magnet on a small pile of it and see how much is picked up by it. A push air into a vacuum cleaner should remove a great deal of the material at a minimal cost. Safety would be of of concern because it never has 100% go where you want it to. As long as it is not hand held or operated and is contained, you can use fine jets of high pressure air.

2002

If you are working with ferrous metals, I don't see how the metal is going to change that much, if any. Simple solution, see if a magnet will attract it.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania